Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tapering is Fun ... Carb Depletion Isn't

OBJECTIVE
3 mi. EZ

ACHIEVED
3.01 mi.@ 8:25/mi.

5:15 AM 63° 78% 0 mph

Once again went a bit faster than necessary today but it felt "easy" so I think I'm okay. Run the Kleinwood Loop for the umpteenth time. I'm getting a bit tired of that route and may have to come up with an alternative sometime soon.

A run negative splits.

My right knee is still a bit bothersome but it continues to get a little bit better each day. It occurred to me yesterday what happened to it. I'm 80% certain that it happened during my run in Washington DC last Friday. While going around the Washington Monument, I turned on a path that went up hill and curved to the left. Once I got a ways up the hill, I could see the sidewalk was going to go right up to the monument. I didn't want to go to the monument. I wanted to go around it. Looking to my right, there was another sidewalk and I could also see it looked like it went around the monument. To get to the other sidewalk, I jumped from a retaining wall maybe 3 - 4' high. I landed hard but kept my feet and didn't think anything of it. I finished the run 9about 1 1/2 mile) with no problems. But thinking back, I must have jammed my knee or something when I jumped from the wall to get to the outer sidewalk. The knee started bothering me later in the day during the conference I was attending and was really bad after sitting on the plane for the flight home. Luckily, it seems to be gradually improving each day so I fully expect it won't be a problem on Saturday.

I think I mentioned I'm depleting myself of carbohydrates right now. I wasn't feeling that great yesterday or today. I think it's from a lack of fuel. The carb loading portion of this exercise can't come soon enough. Hopefully, it works and provides me greater glycogen reserves on marathon day.

While running today, I recalled seeing Bob Williams at the start of last year's marathon. Bob is a great guy, a college buddy and friend. It was a coincidence that we ran into each other. He had run St. George before and offered this race tip:

Have fun over the first 10 miles.
Work over the next 10 miles.
Race the last 6.2.

I think this is really good advice and somewhat adopted it during last year's marathon. After running this morning, I found in article with advice along a similar line:

Run the first 10 miles with your head.
Run the next 10 miles with your legs.
Run the last 6.2 miles with your heart.

I like this one because it reminds me to start out slow and easy then pick it up with good strength, stride and turnover. Then, finally race to the finish. It has occurred to me that everyone can run 20 miles. It's what happens after that is the point.

I scheduled an hour massage for Thursday.


PRE RUN
weight = 154.5
water

POST RUN
water, multivitamin & turkey

2 comments:

RTL said...

Hi. Been following St Georges Marathon prep and only factor I see missing from discussion is that 73% of course involves 2500' decline which gives it the great reputation for fast times. To optimize boost from decline, looking at course elevation map, split race into 0 to 7 miles, easy pace using downhill. 7 to 14 working hard on flat and easy on uphill - going for consistency and let legs do all the work. 14 to 21 - less effort using the downhill - but consistent and under control so don't trash legs too soon. Miles 21 to 26. Blast it to end and leverage nice consistent decline. Now use heart and know you raced the best race possible for this course. Other issues are better quality of running shoe needed for downhill pounding and injury awareness for muscles/tendons not used as much on downhill and any compensating that breaks form. Good luck!

Cory said...

Thank you for the comment, RTL.

You're absolutely right. The drop in elevation can lead to fast times. It also tends to thrash your quadriceps.

As for pacing, my projected mile splits seem to fall in line with your recommendations:

00-07~55:17
07-14~57:48
15-21~54:01
22-26~40:54

As for shoes, I broke out the new Mizuno's for my last long run and have been in them since. This make and model has served me well in the past so I'm confident they will again.

Coming from Houston, the hills can be a wild card. Last year, I was weight training and I have probably underestimated the help that gave me with the downhill course. This year, I trained on the hills in Conroe several times and ran significantly more miles. I hope that compensates for the lack of lifting this year.

Thank you for the insights and best wishes.