Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hamburger

OBJECTIVE
WU 1 mi.
4x1 mi. @ 7:31/mi. (no faster) w/ 2:00 jogging rest
CD 1 mi.

ACHIEVED (all times & distances are estimates due to no Garmin today)
WU 1 mi. (9:00)
7:00/7:18/7:14/7:17
CD 1 mi. (8:56)

6:05 AM

I dropped the hammer on this one today. I think this is my last real hard run before the marathon in 10 days.

I didn't have my Garmin. Left it at work since that's the only place I can sync to MotionBased.com right now due to my lack of internet at home. I used the IronMan instead and estimated the mile marks along the Wimbledon Forest Loop. Instead of looping, I ran 3 miles out-and-back. Because school started today, I didn't want to take a chance of getting caught on Cypresswood in heavy traffic.

The workout scared me a bit. I was supposed to run the 1 mile intervals at lactate threshold BUT NO FASTER. Lactate threshold is estimated to be 10- to 12-mile race pace. I ran the attackpoint.com and runbayou.com pace converter and came up with around 7:30/mile as my 10-mile race pace equivalent. Notice that I hit each interval at significantly faster (he said like a proud parent). I know I wasn't supposed to go faster but it felt okay. It was hard but "comfortably hard". However, I was glad to be finished at 4 intervals. I justified going faster by telling myself that my last true race was a 10K in March and that I must be in better condition now than I was then. I hope this is true. I ran a 10K PR in March with a strong effort. If I'm in better shape now that gives me hope for a good marathon result.

Oh, about my title today, Hamburger. That's kind of what my legs are feeling like these days. I've been reading emails and blogs of others who will be running St. George and I keep hearing how their taper is going. People are saying things like "I love the taper."; "my legs feel ..." choose your adjective ... fast, strong, like I could fly, etc. I'm not feeling this, people. Have I screwed up my taper?

I've got a couple real easy days then 13 miles on Saturday.

PRE RUN
weight = 156
Clif bar & water

POST RUN
SlimFast, multivitamin, water, oatmeal w/brown sugar & 1% milk

No comments: