Friday, September 26, 2008

Chippy in DC

OBJECTIVE
3 mi. Slow

ACHIEVED
3.04 mi.@ 8:09/mi.

6:13 AM 63° 83% 16 mph

This was a fun run. I was actually considering canceling my trip to Washington DC because it might hinder my training. But after committing to go, I figured I could turn it into a couple interesting runs. That didn't work out yesterday. I had planned for an easy 3-miler after my day of meetings. But regretfully traded the run for a happy hour that included excellent food but the usual mindless drivel that happy hour events so often substitute for real conversation. I hate happy hour! Before going inside, I walked past three times trying to decide whether to go our not. I knew what was inside but I was lured in by the food. I figured I'd make a quick hit through the buffet line then get out. Of course, while eating I got sucked in by others and ended up trapped. Why don't I have the social grace to stand up, say "Screw you. I don't care what color the flowers were at your sister's, niece's, cousin's, daughter's, friend's wedding." then leave? (Only a slight exaggeration of my experience.) No, I just sit there. At some point, I stop trying to act interested but the conversation rolls on. Finally, a break. I take it only to find it's raining outside. My hotel is a mile away. There's a long line at the taxi stand. I say "forget it" and start walking. At least it was a "warm rain". I was beyond drenched when I got back to my room. So that's what I gave up my run yesterday for!

This morning, I was up and rolling. I didn't know where I was going but looked at a map and figured I'd go down 16th Street until I ran into the White House. The morning was absolutely beautiful. Urban running is a bit frustrating with all the stopping for traffic lights. There's a peculiar juxtaposition as runners striding along the sidewalks mix with the walking, business-attired foot traffic.

I went by the White House, crossed Constitution Avenue and around the Washington Monument. From there, I headed back. My pace was faster than I wanted it to be but I just let myself go thinking it was the new surroundings. I was also stopping my watch and the traffic light stops.

While circling the Monument, I was thinking this is a really nice morning. It's cool and a bit breezy. The setting is nice. Then a flock of honking, geese came through overhead. They were huge and beautiful, flying in formation. It was a postcard moment.

My DC run was fun. I only wish I had made time for another one yesterday.

PRE RUN
Clif bar

POST RUN
Later, orange juice, eggs benedict, Raisin Bran w/milk, & water

No comments: