Thursday, July 31, 2008

How Easy (or Hard) Should An "Easy Run" Be

OBJECTIVE
Easy 8 mi.@ 8:53/mi.

ACHIEVED
8.02 mi.@ 8:50/mi.

5:40 AM 77F 89% 4 mph

I haven't really figured out how fast or slow to run "easy runs". Over the past six weeks, I just run how ever I felt. Sometimes that led to fast runs; other times slow. Today started out relatively slow. I decided to "put a little effort into it" so I would be closed to my target time. I ended up just under it. How fast should an easy run be? There are tables and formulas. But I've also read about just leaving your watch home and allowing the run to be paced however you feel. I've also read that you can "speed up by slowing down".

Along these same lines I've heard that it's best to stay away from "junk miles" (too slow). I've also heard there is no such thing as junk miles.

I don't know what's right and wrong when it comes to these thing ....

I pushed today's run a bit out of the "easy" range for me ... but not much. It just required slightly more focus and attention to pace.

PRE RUN
apple juice

POST RUN
SlimFast
Later, water , multivitamin, oatmeal w/flax, brown sugar & 1% milk

No comments: