Wednesday, July 30, 2008

First Tempo Run in a Long Time

OBJECTIVE
7 mi. w/4 mi. tempo @ 7:30/mi.

ACHIEVED
7.04 mi. w/4 mi. tempo @ 7:25/mi.

6:09 AM 75° 89% 4 mph

Drove over to Faulkey Gully to run the bayou trail. I dropped in at Louetta which I now know is almost exactly the midpoint of the trail ... thanks to the mile markers that have been installed along the trail. From there I went up the path and extended my warm up to cross Eldridge and continued to the dead end. From there, I came back and crossed Eldridge, took a short break then started my tempo run.

I had been dreading this one somewhat. Only because I haven't done a tempo run in a long time and I didn't know if I could hold a 7:30/mile pace for 4 miles. I'm sure it was this anxiety that led me to start out too fast. But somewhere between 1/2 and one mile, I settled in to a better rhythm and found the pace. I don't recall running this pace over any distance before so that's probably why I had some trouble finding it.

I just kept trying to relax and "run strong". Most of the time those attributes seem opposed to me but I had pretty good focus this morning. I was a little faster than planned over the first mile but felt pretty good. I decided to try to hold it there over the second mile (which included the turnaround at the bottom of the path). The return trip felt like more of a struggle but I stayed focused and reminded myself that I was over half way done. The third mile clipped by and I was heading for the top of the trail. I figured I was going to have to keep going all the way to the top of the trail and cross Eldridge and go to the dead end to get the full 4 miles. I was exactly right. Fortunately, traffic wasn't too bad crossing Eldridge and I didn't lose much time there. I finished strong and very spent. A blue collar guy in a truck saw me finish and asked if I needed some water. This was quite generous and thoughtful on his part. I declined, telling him I had some back at my car which wasn't too far back.

My mile splits:

7:25/7:24/7:26/7:25

I'm happy with the consistency and very happy that I came in under the planned 7:30.

My legs felt good today ... after doing some "clam shells" last night.

PRE RUN
GrapeNuts w/skim milk

POST RUN
SlimFast
Later, water, multivitamin, Kashi GoLean cereal w/skim milk, 2 homemade waffles with maple syrup, tall glass of 1% milk

No comments: