Thursday, June 26, 2008

Too Fast ... ?

OBJECTIVE
4 mi. SLOW

ACHIEVED
4.02 mi.@ 8:48/mi.

6:29 AM 73° 94% 0 mph

I got a late start this morning. I was up in time but got sidetracked while checking my work email before the run.

Finally broke away. I expected a slow one today which was fine because that's what the plan called for. My legs started getting sore yesterday at work while sitting for long stretches. I surmise it's delayed onset muscle soreness from my PT on Tuesday (Dani, my therapist, tipped me off to that when I met with her today.). Of course the difference with starting later is that it's light at the beginning of the run. I don't necessarily like it that way for some reason. Maybe in a perverse sense it seems like I'm more dedicated if I'm running while it's still dark ....

With sore legs and a planned slow run, I was surprised I was under 8:30/mi. for the first 2 miles while running a natural pace and not looking at my watch. I reigned it in over the last half of the run. I don't understand the physiology of running slow on recovery days but I know that's the way it's supposed to be done. I've also read that the aerobic benefit of running slow miles is almost the same as running fast miles. Anyway, as I pondered this and wondered about it, I slowed down.

After driving to the office and spending some time there, I broke away for physical therapy. I liked having Dani to myself this time. She's tough and really forces me to use proper form. Which is good for me ... but it's hard. Generally had more of the same with bands and the large ball; working the glutes, quads and hamstrings. Some of the positions don't look that tough but once you get going there's a tremendous burn. Hoping that all of this is helping. She's not at all happy with my running schedule. She wants me to rest every other day and reduce mileage. ... I'm still not listening.

PRE RUN
water

POST RUN
chocolate milk, multivitamin & oatmeal w/flax seed, turbinado & skim milk

No comments: