Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Will's Hills

OBJECTIVE
8 mi. total including 4x1600@6:34 w/800 recovery

ACHIEVED
WU .64 mi.
.95 mi.(6:11) [.60 mi.(5:32)] .96 mi.(6:37)
5 "W"'s : 1.43 mi@9:19 (HILLS!)
CD .80 mi.

5:35 AM 71° 86% 4 mph

Jonathan introduced me to the Will's Hills group and routine this morning. This ended up being a really good workout for me but I wasn't very optimistic to start out. After a warm up jog, we ran 2 one-mile intervals. It was still quite dark in some areas along the trail which caused me to be a bit tentative. I also found myself holding back since I was uncertain about the energy requirements of the 5 "W"'s. In the simplest terms, a "W" consisted of starting at the top of the hill at Shepherd and Memorial. From the top, it was down then back up 3 times while moving diagonally across the face of the hill. It was a tough workout! I found myself somewhere in the middle of the pack of about 14 runners with the group with morning. The hills brought out a little "burn" in my legs.

After finishing the "W"'s, we cooled down over the 3/4 mile back to the parking lot. Some of the group hung around for conditioning and stretching exercises. Jonathan and I joined the group. This was really good for me even though my form on some of the movements was pitiful!

From there, we followed Jonathan by car to his new house. After cleaning up for work, he grabbed a quick breakfast and he shared a very good smoothie concoction with me.

This was a really good workout for me and I felt great about it throughout the morning. I think the guy running Will's Hills is running the Boston Marathon and won't be with the group for a while but informal sessions will continue so I think I'll make Wednesday mornings my day with them (they meet M, W, and F). I really appreciate Jonathan putting me on to this group and making his facilities available.

PRE RUN
Clif bar & water

POST RUN
SlimFast & Accelerade
Later, oatmeal w/brn. sugar & milk; smoothie

No comments: