Friday, January 4, 2008

Pedestrian

OBJECTIVE
35 min tempo : no pace

ACHIEVED
4.05 miles : 35:42 = 8:49/mi.

4:48 AM 37° 78% 5 mph

It was warmer today. I generally felt okay. Strange how the mind works ... I was running for time this morning ... 35 minutes. I planned to run the 4 mile route and knew that I'd have to add on a bit to get the time. I was mentally prepared for the 4 miles but was groping around for the best way to add on to the run. Finally, I decided that I'd best circle the block back in my neighborhood to get the additional time. I wasn't thrilled about that but figured it would be fine. Interestingly, after completing the 4 mile route I found myself back at the house. I checked my watch ... I had been running a little over 35 minutes! Somehow my mind had worked as a governor to restrict my pace such that I wouldn't have to run in the neighborhood! I've had a few similar occurrences over the past several months. It is proof to me the the mental side of running can be a powerful tool or an obstacle. Of course, I have no idea at the moment how to harness this power but I convinced that it's there. I analyzed my splits at home and found that I was generally slowing over the whole run. I didn't feel it but somehow I mentally "made it happen" because I didn't really want to run the neighborhood. I need to give this concept more consideration.


PRE RUN
Clif bar & water

POST RUN
SlimFast & multivitamin
Later, Kashi GoLean cereal with skim milk

No comments: