Saturday, November 3, 2007

Failure-based Training!

I had a tough run this morning. The schedule was for 13 miles @ 8:13.

It started out good but deteriorated. I drove to the Y to run the regular 8-mile route with 5 tacked on. I got going a little before 6 am. The temperature was good (around 57) with high humidity (95% - it was "foggy"). I reminded myself to start slow and also had it in my mind to attempt negative splits for the whole run. I failed both objectives very early!

I ended up with 13.2 @ 9:17 and was pretty much I living, breathing example of what not to do on a long run. Here's a partial list:

Start out too fast.

Run for more than an hour without nutrition.

Run for more than an hour without hydration.

Continue running after experiencing a high degree of discomfort that could be an injury.

Get upset that the run isn't going well and recalibrate objectives to punish yourself.



Here are my frustrating splits with commentary:

8:21 wanted to start about 8:30; feeling good

8:14 negative split; still feeling good but too close to goal time this early ... better slow

8:19 this is good; not negative but the first 3 miles are warm up; time to go!

8:26 didn't feel like I was slowing but obviously was

8:43 new part of route; crossing big intersection & contending with 2-lane country road ... surprised there's this much traffic this early on a Saturday. I like the road (i.e., scenery) but understand why Bob Bond never wanted to take this route. It's unsafe!

8:59 sure wish I had some water. Deciding against my fuel belt in an effort to "toughen up" this morning was stupid.

9:19 I can't believe I'm a minute per mile over my target pace! This is pitiful. My right knee has been bothering me now for a couple miles and seems to be getting worse.

9:35 Okay, I'm not going to hit my goal time. I've turned back for the Y. I can salvage the run by going negative splits the whole way back. I should be able to do this based on how slow I'm going!

9:15 Good - a negative split. Bad - it's 1:02 greater than the goal time. Knee is not well; still need something to drink. Wonder if GU would help at this point?

8:59 Another negative split. Keep this up and I can say the whole run wasn't a waste.

8:52 Still on track but the knee isn't improving and I've got no energy.

9:23 Feeling sorry for myself.

10:49 Downright embarrassing given the objective.


This was a frustrating run. The FIRST training program is proving to be hard and I'm realizing that I won't be hitting my times but I'm going to press on to see if I can "catch up" to the program. If I do then I'll have tangible evidence that I'm really improving. If I don't then I'll recalibrate the program. Everything right now is driving off my 5K PR time but maybe that isn't the right starting point given my current fitness level.

I know better than to do everything wrong today like I did. Somehow I was thinking I could go "outside the lines" and achieve something more. That's just stupid. Instead of complicating the workouts, I just need to focus on the task at hand AND make proper preparations to be successful. I don't want to feel like this after another workout anytime soon!

No comments: