Wednesday, October 3, 2007

3 Mile Tempo

I wasn't expecting to feel too good this morning due to skewing my diet away from carbohydrates the past couple days. I'm not doing a full blown carbo loading routine but a modified version of my own design. I've read the best science suggests a 3-days off/3-days on for the best carbo loading. So I've just focused on a protein-rich diet for the past couple of days. Beginning tomorrow, I'll skew my intake toward carbohydrates with a goal of about 75% total caloric intake being carbs between now and the marathon.

I didn't feel particularly bad ... or good this morning. I started from the YMCA through the neighborhoods at 5:30 am. The goal was a 1 mile warm up followed by a 3 mile tempo run at 7:20/mile pace then a 1 mile cool down. I decided I'd try to run the first warm up mile at the same pace I hope to run the first mile of the marathon, 8:56. Here's what I ended up with:

1 mile warm up 8:44

Tempo
Mile 1 7:16
Mile 2 7:30
Mile 3 7:22

1 mile cool down 8:30


The air felt cool at the start this morning. But after the run, I noticed the temperature was 64 with 90% humidity. The current forecast temperature for the start of the marathon Saturday is 36!

No comments: