Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Quick Notes

Just a couple of quick notes this morning.

  • Found an article on running at altitude suggesting, among other things, that my race pace will be 6 - 10 seconds per mile slower. It also suggests racing conservatively and starting out slow. Just a few ideas to mull over leading up to Saturday.

  • On a whim, I picked up the iPod+ Sport Kit on my way home last night. I hooked the receiver up to Cameron's Nano and put the "bug" under the laces of my Mizunos and circled the block. I can't figure out how it works since it is not GPS capable but at any point in the run I hit the Nano a voice came through the headphones giving me elapsed time, distance, and pace. Based on this very limited test (half mile), the technology was very accurate. I still question the overall accuracy since there was no calibration required. Ultimately, I doubt I'll use it much because the Nano and headphones drive me crazy while running. Cameron seemed excited about it so it looks like it ends up being his and I'll borrow it occasionally.

I've got 3 mile tempo run tonight at a pretty fast pace. I like the idea of my last workout being faster than Saturday's race pace. I'm considering running on the high school track rather than at Memorial. I don't like the 12 loops required on the track but my body probably prefers the rubberized surface of the track. My right knee has been bothering my a bit ever since last Saturday's long run so the track may be best tonight. ... weather may be a factor. I think there's a good chance of rain this afternoon.

No comments: