Saturday, July 23, 2011

OBJECTIVE
10 mi.@ 7:53

ACHIEVED
10.05 mi.@ 8:10

5:36 AM 81° 84% 2 mph

Really tough run with the big boys this morning. We run from Memorial Park to the Hilton Americas downtown then back. I managed to stay with the lead group on the trip downtown. The average pace was around 7:51 and the others were just getting warmed up. There was Barry, Collin, Wayne, Steve, Doug, and Aaron. Back a little was Jonas. Followed by Dirk and John.

Given the conditions (the CenterPoint thermometer just before the Hilton registered 86° as we passed), I knew I couldn't maintain over the return trip. I laid back and the lead group stretched the gap on me. Fortunately, Barry (~12 miles) and Jonas (20 miles) were going longer than I was today and their pace was slower than the leaders. I stayed with them for almost 3 miles of the return trip then started slipping back. Once I had faded out of earshot of their conversation, my pace really collapsed. It reminded me of my first several runs with Steph's group 4 years ago. Getting dropped along Allen Parkway or Memorial Drive and having to drag myself in alone. I consoled myself that in that earlier case, there came a point where I was finally able to run with and stay with the group. Hopefully my time spent with Wayne's group leads to the same result.

PRE RUN
oatmeal w/1% milk & brown sugar

POST RUN
watermelon
Later, strawberry-banana smoothie & egg mcmuffin

No comments: