Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It's official, I'm injured. This is very, very frustrating! My training had been going so well over the past few weeks. It's disappointing to know the gains in fitness will now just be slipping away; unused. The overwhelmingly crazy thing about this is that I have no idea when or how this injury happened. One minute I was rolling along nicely; the next I'm limping along. I didn't step on anything, feel a sharp, sudden pain ... nothing.

So by noon yesterday when my left calf was still very sore, it became fairly clear that this wasn't just a cramp as I had originally diagnosed. After long stretches of sitting at my desk, I could hardly walk. I'm still not sure what the issue is but for now I'm calling it a calf strain.

I iced, elevated, and slept in compression socks. It only feels slightly better today. The incredibly frustrating element to the R-I-C-E treatment is the "R"; rest. I know I've got to lay off for this to clear up properly. I also know the Boston Marathon is in less than 80 days. Here I sit ....

No comments: