Saturday, February 20, 2010

Fail

Except for feeling "fatigued" Friday evening, my calf has felt fine the past couple days. That convinced me that running today would be worth a try. I was scheduled to race a 10K. I knew it probably wouldn't be the best idea for my first run back to be a race but figured if I was feeling fine, a race would serve as a good benchmark.

After driving to Orchard, I picked up my packet and got ready in the car. I had given myself plenty of time. About 30 minutes before race time, I started on a super easy warm up. My plan was to gradually pick it up over about 2 miles. It was a beautiful morning and my calf felt fine. This was going to be a good day. My bliss was interrupted about 3/4 mile in. My calf was tightening ... in a hurry! The focal point is lower on my leg now; maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches above my ankle. I'm wondering if my Achilles tendon connects in there ??? So now it was decision time. I had driven 60 miles to run this morning. Should I just go out and take it really easy? I could at least turn my 10K into a 5K if it was getting too bad. No, it wouldn't serve any point. I eased it back to my car, thought briefly about hanging out for the race festivities, decided against it and headed for home about 5 minutes before the races started. It was the right decision.

No comments: