Saturday, August 22, 2009

Thanks, Jonathan

OBJECTIVE
18 mi.@ 7:46-8:36

ACHIEVED
18.06 mi.@ 8:19

7:16 AM 77° 84% 0 mph

Got home late from the Astros-Marlins game last night (Astros win 1-0). Hadn't formalized anything for today's run and knew that the group wasn't getting together. Have thought for the past couple days, it would be useful to go to Conroe to run some hills. Sent Jonathan a text before going to bed after 11 pm. Figured it was too late for him. But when I woke up to my 6 am alarm had a text from him that he'd be at my house at 6:30. We drove to League Line Road in Conroe.

The first four miles down and back to the marina where fine. The hills were tough but we managed a brisk 8:13/mile pace. We stopped at the car for liquids then set off through Teaswood. We hit Carter Moore Drive 8.7 miles in. I wasn't feeling very strong and it was getting warmer. I had envisioned heading down to Highway 105 then back to the car. This wasn't a good idea and Jonathan pointed it out. So we headed back to the car figuring we could add on for mileage once we got there. We would also be able to rehydrate. This turned out to be a good decision. The risk in it of course is that it would be tough to leave to car to get the additional mileage. Our overall pace to that point was holding at a solid 8:12/mile.

The trek back to the car felt plodding and I was losing conviction. We drank and caught our breath briefing at the car. We also decided that traffic was too heavy to run back down to the marina so we set out retracing the steps from which we came. We took a random side street along the way to explore. Jonathan seemed strong but I wasn't. Down the side street we found a park and took a water break then headed back toward the car. As we got closer, it became clear we would be about a mile short. I wasn't capable of imagining adding on to get the mile. We took a side street for a small add-on before reaching League Line Road then crossed over to add more on the north side of LLR. Shortly before hitting the parking lot, I heard the mile beep of my Garmin. Thankful to have completed a tough 18-miler and grateful for Jonathan joining me. I absolutely would not have been able to get it in without him. We kept the conversation and pace going, which in turn kept me going.

Breaking the run into 6-mile segments, revealed the following over the variable terrain:

1- 6 mile pace: 8:11 per mile
2-12 mile pace: 8:08 per mile
13-18 mile pace: 8:39 per mile

PRE RUN
oatmeal w/brown sugar & 1% milk

POST RUN
SlimFast
Later, 2 poached eggs, 2 blueberry pancakes w/blueberry syrup, lemonade (I know that's weird!???) & vast quantities of water.

No comments: