Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Running Maturity?

OBJECTIVE
2-6 mi.@ 8:37-9:47

ACHIEVED
6.07 mi.@ 8:55

6:34 AM 76° 93% 0 mph

Another recovery run wedged between yesterday's intervals and tomorrow's tempo. There was a time when I would have blown today's run off. I didn't really feel that great getting out of bed this morning. It would have easy to give myself the day off. I've done it in the past. Rather than miss the run I just told myself, "It's not hard. All it takes is time ... and I've got time right now!"

I've been running now for just about 29 months. The "recovery run" concept has always been difficult for me. I know I can hit my times for recovery runs so I usually blow them out faster than necessary then pat myself on the back for doing such a great job. This is stupid. Recovery runs are meant to give you a chance to recover while stretching your legs and maintaining the benefits of daily running.

Lately I've been much more disciplined about my pace on recovery runs. I start slow and end slow and don't worry about anything in between. I still have the underlying tendency to get carried away but I remind myself what's coming the next day and realize that there will be plenty of opportunity to go fast right around the corner.

Is this a sign of running maturity? Who knows? Let's see if I make it out of bed for my next recovery run on Friday and if I go too fast!

PRE RUN
weight = 163
water

POST RUN
water, multivitamin & oatmeal w/flax, brown sugar & 1% milk

No comments: