Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cold, Hard Fact ... 1:30 is Not in the Cards

... more to follow ....

OBJECTIVE
6 mi. incl. warm up, 4 mi. tempo @ 6:47, & cool down

ACHIEVED
WU 1.01 mi.
6:43/6:46/6:46/6:54
CD 1.12 mi.

6:13 AM 74° 93% 5 mph

Tough run. I hit my times over each of the first three miles but was dying over the fourth mile. This pace is only 5 seconds slower per mile than the pace for a 1:30 half marathon. Based on this, how I've felt in training runs over the last couple weeks, and my 10K race three weeks ago, it's not reasonable to expect to run 1:30 in Ogden. Oh sure I could go out at that pace and hope for some "race day magic". But the reality is that I'm not at the same fitness level that I was in January. I realize now that the change up I made in my training to focus on speed has jeopardized my endurance.

I know that I have more speed than I have endurance but for some stupid reason I have to keep learning it over and over again. Leading up to the Houston half marathon I was logging 50 mile weeks. More recently, I've barely worked back up to 40 miles per week. If I want to be successful over distances, I flat out have to log miles and forget about speed work.

As for my Ogden strategy, I'm still working on it.

PRE RUN
weight 161
sleep 7:00

POST RUN
SlimFast & multivitamin

3 comments:

pcb said...

There is a lot of overthinking going on here - as is your M O before any race.

pcb said...

By the way - WHERE IS THE NEXT MUSIC INSTALLMENT? SLACKER!

Diane B said...

Hey, speaking of music...I was wondering if there was a remake on "Saying Something Stupid" by Nancy Sinatra & dad, Frank.