Wednesday, September 17, 2008

OBJECTIVE
WU 1 mi.
4-3-2-1 mi.@ 7:55/mi. w/2 min. rest
CD 1 mi.

ACHIEVED
WU 0.26 mi.
4 mi.@ 7:44/mi.
3 mi.@ 7:49/mi.
2 mi.@ 7:47/mi.
1 mi.@ 7:50/mi.
CD 0.10 mi.

6:04 AM

This one scared me before I started and continued while in progress. I think I found out a couple things. First, this 7:55/mi. marathon pace which translates into a 3:27 marathon is going to keep my hands full. Of course, I've felt the pace before during pickups at the end of long runs. But today was the first time I sustained the pace (discounting the 2 minute standing/walking breaks between intervals). I was drifting slower over the last mile. I think that's from starting faster than necessary. The pace also requires my concentration - both mental and physical. There is no autopilot at this pace for me. This is a little disappointing because it's tough for me to stay focused like that for 3 1/2 hours. When I let my mind wander this morning, the pace fell off and I had to work to regain it.

On the positive side, this workout was a bit of a confidence booster because I think it's doable; it's just going to require a sterling effort. This seems to suggest to me that I'm targeting the right marathon time.

It was still very dark this morning as the power in still out at my house and the neighborhoods I run through. However, it's not quiet. The loud hum of generators really pieces the stillness of the early morning.

No comments: