Saturday, March 22, 2008

Run The Woodlands 5K #197

OBJECTIVE
5K : challenge January's 20:37 PR

ACHIEVED
5K : 20:12 (unofficial)

8:00 AM 52° 97% 0 mph

I wasn't planning on racing today but my 15-year old son mentioned last night that he wanted to run The Woodlands 5K this morning. He's been running the two-mile event this track season (when it doesn't conflict with baseball) so I fully expected him to beat me today. But I wasn't going to go down without a fight! I didn't sleep well last night and didn't feel too good this morning before the race.

Amazingly, I felt great for the first half of the race. I forgot to bring my Garmin so I didn't know my pace. I was just running with my Timex Ironman. I think Cameron must have misjudged the distance because I passed him between 1 and 1.5 miles into the race. It felt like I was pushing the pace just about right. An amazingly efficient female runner passed me around 2 miles. Her stride was short but her turnover was very fast. She rolled past me. I tried to hang with her for a while but she methodically stretched the gap as I started breaking down. I think she was the same person who passed around the same point when I ran this race back in January.

I checked my watch and figured that I was going to have a chance of breaking 20:00 if I pushed it. So I did. But, in the end it wasn't enough. I didn't hear my time called out at the finish but had 20:12 on my watch. They usually post the results so I'll watch for the official time later.

My finish was good enough for 6th place overall. Cameron was about 20 - 25 seconds behind me in 9th place.

I was supposed to run 7 miles today so I'll either get 4 more miles later today or first thing in the morning.

PRE RUN
water & GrapeNuts w/skim milk

POST RUN
water & SlimFast

No comments: