Monday, January 7, 2008

Inadvertent Proof

OBJECTIVE
5 miles : no pace

ACHIEVED
5.11 miles : 44:45 = 8:45/mi.

4:43 AM 70° 83% 10 mph

It seems I inadvertently proved a theory that I've subscribed to. I didn't eat or drink before or after yesterday's run. Today I was quite sore and stiff. I think by depriving my body nutrients at critical times yesterday, I slowed the recovery process. On top of that, I failed to stretch after yesterday's run. So it's difficult to know what to attribute the way I felt this morning to. But in a very real way, I proved to myself that I need to be sure to get proper nutrition and stretch. I know that's not an earth-shattering revelation. But being a firsthand witness has made the case much more obvious to me. By the way, none of this was planned. It's just how things ended up working out yesterday.

It was warm for today's 5-miler. Fortunately, I loosened up once I got going. I treated the effort like a recovery run given my recent runs over consecutive days. I didn't want to push the pace and figured I'd be around 8:45. I sat on this pace through 3 miles then fell off for mile 4 and finished stronger for mile 5.

I hope it's cooler this weekend! I think it's supposed to rain mid week so that may turn the current trend and give the marathoners better conditions.

PRE RUN
Clif bar & water

POST RUN
SlimFast & multivitamin
Later, oatmeal & skim milk

No comments: