Friday, January 18, 2008

Don't Spit Into the Wind

OBJECTIVE
5 miles : no pace

ACHIEVED
5.13 mi. : 41:18 = 8:03/mi.

4:30 AM 42F 61% 8 mph

It was a good run this morning. My left knee had a slight but fleeting problem and my right half tightened midway but abated.

For the first half of the run I was working on a comprehensive example to offer as a simple explanation for a now-very-public tax accounting issue that is the hottest topic in the office. I don't think I quite completed it but I'm close. I think I'll be using this technique more regularly. It seems to make the miles pass by and, for some reason, I seem to run faster than when I'm focusing solely on pace, form, etc.

I managed negative splits again today which I always like. Of course, it's more likely when starting with a slow initial mile.

I think I'll start adding pace objectives for my runs beginning next week.

I'm also considering shifting my marathon goal time given my recent 5K and how I've been feeling on my runs. However, I'm concerned about getting overly aggressive with my training since I think that's what led to my injuries. The best course is probably to maintain the goals as planned. If I'm still feeling like I'm ahead of schedule in a month, I should be able to modify my training for faster times and still have enough time before the marathon to reap the training benefits.

The demands of work are going to be staggering over the next 5 weeks. If hopeful that my running is not impacted too much. At the moment, it appears the February 10K is in jeopardy.

PRERUN
Clif bar & water

POST RUN
SlimFast, oatmeal w/ b. sugar, multivitamin & water

No comments: