Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Anything Gained in Gainesville?

Well, the vacation is underway. Cam and I got out of Houston for
Atlanta Sunday night. After missing 4 flights on standby Sunday, Dad
and Larry made it out of Salt Lake City early Monday morning.
Surprisingly, they made it on the Atlanta. Cam and I waited for their
2 pm arrival. Once they made it in we picked up the 12-person van and
started the drive to Miami. We stopped for dinner along the 5-hour
drive then got a room in Gainesville. That's about half way to Miami.

I woke up early and couldn't sleep so went out for a run. I planned
on 4 miles at an 8:57 pace. Of course, I had no idea where I was but
I did have my GPS and I asked a desk clerk if people run anywhere
around the area. He didn't hesitate to offer directions to a park
where "people run all the time". Not to generalize but it's probably
best to take running sugestions from people how at least look like
they run!

I followed what I thought were his directions - following a narrow but
quiet two lane road. At the end of the road was a trail. Could this
be the place the clerk mentioned? I took the trail. After a short
distance, it became clear this was not a public running area. My
curiousity and pace spurred me along. I was now in pretty heavy woods
running on a mostly overgrown, sandy path. I passed a swamp??? The
path finally came to a deadend at a small rundown house. Apparently I
was on a private driveway. I turned and retraced. Checked my Garmin
when I got back to the road and was surprised that I was around 8:30
pace ... maybe attributable to the fact I was expecting to see an
alligator or the creature from the Black Lagoon at any minute. I had
no concept of my pace. I was really expecting something between 9 and
10.

I worked in side streets on my way back to the hotel. Ended up with

5.2 miles @ 8:38

I really felt good this morning. There were too many things out of
the ordinary to know why I felt so good. Was it being in a car 5
hours yesteray? Was it last week's tapered training schedule? Was it
because I didn't

No comments: