Saturday, June 16, 2007

Today's Long Run = 12 miles






Turned

12 miles @ 9:00 (1:48:00)

this morning with Bob Bonds. I'm sure I slowed him down but I stayed with him to the end (more correctly stated - he stayed with me to the end!)

We started at 5:45 and the weather was cooler (thankfully) with a rain storm expected later today.

It always feels great to have completed a good long run. I ate a small bowl of oatmeal and slice of toast an hour before the run. I also drank water and ate/slurped GU along the way. I'm experimenting with my eating on the long runs so I hopefully know what works best for me and can implement it for races. I also drank Slim Fast afterwards (per MacMillan Racing); not for dieting purposes but it's supposedly the perfect balance of carbohydrates and protein for replenishing. I also read that it contains a particular amino acid helpful in nutrient absorption.

I used Cam's Nike+ Ipod sport kit too. I got a Lace Lid in the mail earlier this week and used it to strap the transmitter to my shoe. Since I don't listen to music while running (I know most people do but for some reason it seems like cheating to me ... I don't know ....), I attached the receiver to his Ipod Nano, put the Nano in a zip lock bag, and put the Nano in the pocket on my fuel belt. The results ... it worked great! Bob's GPS had our distance at 12.0 miles @ 9:00 pace. The Nike+ had us at 12.05 miles @ 9:00 pace. The technology fascinates me. I don't understand how it works. It's an accelerometer ??? ... supposedly measures the time between each foot strike and calculates distance from that .... How does it do that?

Finally in my last bit of running psychosis, I relaced my shoes last night using a special lacing technique I found on the New Balance website. Ever since getting my Mizuno Wave Rider 10's in March, I get a nickle-sized blister on the side of my right toe while running. The blister doesn't hurt but it sure looks nasty. The NB lacing technique was supposed to "raise the toe box" and take pressure off the toes. Didn't work. I've got the same big blister on my right big toe as usual.

I'm now propped up with ice bags on my knees. I'm considering popping some bootlegged, prescription-strength Ibuprofen but I think I'll hold off. I want to see how I feel tomorrow morning after a good icing.

No comments: