Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Belated Weekly Training Schedule

Okay, I know I'm late with this. I'm also late getting my full race report posted too.

I'm calling this week my "reverse taper". I haven't seen the term used anywhere else (although it seems rather obvious). Hal Higdon does call it "Zero Week". He suggests following the same routine as the week leading into the event - only in reverse. Seems like sound advice so I'm going with it ... with some modification and the name change from Zero Week to Reverse Taper.

Sunday - rest

Monday - rest

Tuesday - easy recovery run; 2-3 miles @ 9:48

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - 4 mile trail run
(Jonathan & I will hook up with Audrey from PIM and Fort Bend Fit on the Ho Chi Mihn Trail. Hopefully I don't sprain an ankle!)

Friday - rest

Saturday - long run with Champions Fit
(the group is going 12M ... not sure I'll stay with them for the full run but I'll get at least 8M.)


I figure this approach will get my feet back under me.

With the half marathon behind me, I've got to refocus myself and put a few goals on the horizon. The St. George marathon in October is obviously the next big event that I'll be training for. However, I want to mix in a couple short-term goals along the way. I'm toying with an intense, 4-week speed focus before undertaking the full marathon program. The speed group Stephanie Burlet runs with meets on Tuesdays. I think I'll try that for awhile. I'd love to knock out 5K and 10K PR's (I know the weather isn't conducive but I don't necessarily have to race in Houston, do I?) before fully dedicating to myself to marathon training. I also still have to figure out which marathon program I'm going to commit to. I don't want to be changing up along the way. The Runners World plan I used for the half worked but I'm wondering if there's something better. I also expect to formally join ChampionsFit for the July session. Although it may not be the perfect fit, it is clearly the most convenient.

No comments: