Monday, April 21, 2008

On Heavy Legs, In Heavy Air

OBJECTIVE
8 mi. @ 8:15

ACHIEVED
8.03 mi.@8:30/mi

4:18 AM 71F 85% 3mph

The air was very heavy this morning. There were low clouds covering an almost full moon. I figured the clouds were impeding air flow and raising the humidity. This appears true with humidity at 85%. After the run, I was surprised to see the temperature at 71!

Anyway, the only things heavier than the air were my legs! I dont't know if this was from the hills and pace of Saturday's run, the cumulative effect of recent runs (shouldn't be), or less than optimal sleep and nutrition over the weekend. Oh, wait, there's some job related stress at the moment too. Whatever the cause(s), I wasn't feeling it this morning.

After a warm up mile, I pressed the second mile to an unimpressive 8:11 then just faded up from there over the remaining 6 miles.

I thought a lot about the marathon and also about work. I came up with some answers for work issues but seem to be chasing my tail about the marathon strategy/reality....

PRE RUN
Clif bar & water

POST RUN
SlimFast & multivitamin
Later, Grape Nuts w/skim milk

2 comments:

Care said...

Cory,

It looks like you're a pretty dedicated runner. I wished that I had kept a log of all my training. It is a good reference for tracking the results on good and bad race days.
I haven't done a race since St. George marathon, except for the Turkey Trot up at the hospital. I'm not signed up for anything coming. I'm excited for you at Ogden this year. It's my favorite since it was my first. You should have a great race! Hopefully, I'll make it there to see the finish.

Later, Tim

Cory said...

Hey Tim -

Don't let my blog fool you. I'm not as dedicated as it may lead you to believe! I consider myself more of a "frustrated" runner.

I got injured at the Turkey Trot (probably from trying to keep up with you!) and really haven't gotten back on track since then. It's been a frustrating training cycle since St. George.

I'm not sure what to think about Ogden. I remember at this point leading up to St. George I was "afraid of the unknown" since it was my first marathon. Now I'm at the same point prior to my second marathon in Ogden, it seems I'm "afraid of the known!"

I'm trying to sort out whether I'm willing to flat out "go for it" and take the risk of a dramatic failure. I don't know if I'm ready for that high wire act. Most likely I'm not experienced enough as a runner and don't have the appropriate training base for the odds to be tilted in my favor .... Don't wait around too long for me at the finish! Your 3:06 from a couple years ago is not in jeopardy!

I think Brandon and Wendy are doing the half. Paige and Cameron are too. So hopefully it's a good day for everyone.

Look forward to seeing you when we're in town.

Cory