Monday, November 5, 2007

6 Miles in the City of Broken Dreams

I'm in Las Vegas for an industry tax conference. I don't really enjoy these events nor do I like enjoy Vegas .... So as a diversion/excuse to "get away", I brought my running shoes and gear. I looked up running routes on the web and was able to find a 12 mile loop just off the Strip. Since my "body clock" is still on Central Daylight Time (the change from daylight to standard time was early AM yesterday) and Las Vegas is now Pacific Standard Time, I woke up early this morning. I laced 'em up, strapped on my Garmin, and was ready to run from Bally's where I'm staying.

It turned out to be an interesting run. I had no goal for pace or distance. The only reason I even wore the Garmin is out of habit and so I could upload the run when I get back home. I did think that if everything worked out okay that I'd try to go for about an hour.

I was directionally disoriented at the start and went a few blocks before figuring that out. But I got turned around and back to the Strip, in front of Bellagio, and on my way to crossing the freeway overpass. I was surprised that I saw several runners out this morning. The air was cool and dry. It was refreshing weather in what I view as a depressing city. The run was stop-and-go at times as I dodged traffic, checked my map, and tried to figure out where to go when the sidewalk ended. But since I wasn't running for a pace or time, none of this mattered today. I was just happy to get out. The dry air was absolutely awesome! I wonder if it feels this good to others who run in these conditions? I ended up running a huge square. It got a little dicey coming back under a freeway overpass with no sidewalk or right-of-way. Fortunately the morning traffic wasn't too heavy at the time. I also went up a couple flights of stairs to get over a skywalk then back down again.

Overall, the run was a nice start to what I expect to be a long day sitting on a conference room.

The result ... not that it matters ....

6.35 miles @ 8:23/mile

No comments: