Saturday, September 22, 2007

Tapering Madness!

Rolled up 12.25 miles this morning with the Chicago marathon training group. It's a bit funny to hear us talking about a "short run" and that we're now "down to 12 miles". I couldn't have imagined back in March when I joined Power In Motion that I'd ever feel like 12 miles was a SHORT run! I didn't even know if I could make it 1 mile that first night.

Our group consisted of Randy, Josh, Miranda, Biff, William, and me. William peeled off after about 3 miles but the rest of us finished together and finished strong. Everyone seemed to be feeling good with the shorter distance and the cooler temperature (around 72).

This whole concept of "tapering" for the big race feels incredibly counterintuitive to me right now. It seems I should be doing more ... make that much more ... to get myself ready for 26.2 miles in 2 weeks. I understand the purpose of the taper and while it makes complete sense, it's still frustrating.

The run went well. I was surprised that I had a little soreness throughout and wondered if that was from Thursday's speed workout. After the track work Thursday, I warmed down with 2 slow, easy miles but didn't stretch or get some recovery nutrition fast enough. Other than the soreness today's run was great!

With the taper on in full force, I really have to focus on nutrition, hydration, and rest over the next couple weeks. The upcoming runs are short and generally easy so the conditioning is basically done (funny ... I don't feel "done"!). The best thing I can do now is just take care of myself the best I know how. Hopefully that puts me at the start line in the best possible situation.

12.25 miles @ 8:32 (1:44:32)

No comments: