Saturday, September 8, 2007

Bearkat Bash 5K

Today was a rather full day!

I was scheduled for an easy 9 miles today but opted for a 5K sponsored
by Cam's high school cross country team - the Bearkat Bash.

It was a fun race because there were several people from the
neighborhood running and watching. Cameron was also running with his
team. I planned for a 21:20 but that wasn't in the cards as soon as I
went out too hard fighting my way through pre-race traffic (why did
the drill team think they needed to be at the front for the start?).

The CC team started up front and went out fast. I finally caught Cam
about 1.7 miles in. About half a mile later, I got into a verbal
confrontation with a fellow runner (it's all rather comical now but if
I see the guy again I'll have to thank him for providing me with an
adrenaline rush). I started my kick way too early just to get away
from this joker but I still had quite a bit left in the tank for the
final 1/10 mile. I ended up around 21:53 (forgot to stop my watch at
the finish line and I doubt they'll be posting official results). I
think I took 6th in the 40-44 age group.

From the race, Cam and I cleaned up, went to the airport, and flew to
LA. My good friend Alex picked us up and we went to the Rose Bowl for
the BYU - UCLA football game. We had a great time even though BYU
lost 27-17.

We caught a redeye back to Houston and were finally in our own beds at
6:30 Sunday morning.

No comments: