Sunday, July 22, 2007

Running During a Layover

Here's the short story:

6 miles @ 8:36 (51:40)


The longer version goes like this:

I got back home from the baseball trip Saturday but my dad and brother weren't able to get on flights from Houston to Salt Lake City throughout the day. In addition, Cameron and his friend needed to be in Provo to start BYU's cross country camp Monday morning. Dad and Larry finally made it out on a late flight Saturday night. Fortunately, I didn't have to fly with them to get them home. Cam and Rory weren't gong to make it unless I flew with them. So this morning we made a 7 am flight to SLC.

My dad picked them up and I stayed at the airport planning to get the next flight back to Houston. Unfortunately that flight was full so I now had a 4 hour wait for the next flight - which looked full too. I made a few calls to a hotel and gyms in the area. I had my shoes and running gear. I figured if I could find a place to get a shower I'd try to get some miles in somewhere close to the airport.

None of my ideas seemed to be a good logistical fit so I was about to give up on the idea when Paige called to get an update on my status. She suggested renting a car and driving to South Weber and running there. I know the area and I could shower at my parent's place. It was a great idea and that's what I did.

I was able to get 6 miles running from my parents place down South Weber Drive to the Motor Vu Drive in. I felt good and my pace was solid and constant. The temperature was warm at 87 but the humidity was a comfortable 23%. I did notice the altitude.

I had just enough time to shower, drive back to the airport, clear security, and take the last available seat back to Houston. I slept virtually the whole flight home.

The trip really screwed up my training for the week. I missed Wednesday's tempo run and Saturday's scheduled 16-miler. I'll have exert some extra discipline this week and be careful to focus on how I'm feeling as I get my training back on track.

No comments: