Thursday, October 8, 2009

National Mall Loop

OBJECTIVE
run

ACHIEVED
5.56 mi.@ 9:20/

5:46 PM 65° 52% 3 mph

Finished meetings at the Ritz Carlton. On my way in this morning, I noticed a very small sign that said "Welcome Runners". Wasn't sure if there was a marathon in town; didn't think so and further didn't think runners would be staying at the Ritz. On further investigation, the hotel had small runners' maps with 4 routes from the hotel ranging from 2 - 8 miles. I eagerly grabbed one looking forward to blowing off a happy hour reception this evening for a run. My ankle and legs weren't feeling all that great but I wasn't going to let the opportunity pass.

My run took me through the campus of George Washington University. Urban running is much different than I'm used to due to the stop-and-go dodging of traffic, lights, construction, etc. By the time I got down by the White House it was getting dark. The Washington Monument was lit up. Then I circled around the Jefferson Memorial and along the Potomac River to the Lincoln Memorial. I stopped there and climbed the stairs, read the Gettysburg Address and Lincoln's second inaugural speech. Then I slowly worked my way back to the hotel. It was an inspiring run even though my legs and ankle weren't quite right to fully enjoy it physically.

No comments: