Thursday, April 17, 2008

Taking the "S" out of LSD ....

OBJECTIVE
9 mi. @ 8:20/mi.

ACHIEVED
9.02 mi. @ 8:16/mi.

4:30 AM 64° 78% 6 mph

In runner parlance LSD is long, slow distance run and, as I understand it, there's a purpose in going slow over a long distance. I think I took the "S" out of my LSD this morning. Okay, so you look at my time and wonder, what am I talking about? An 8:16/mi. pace isn't that fast. Let me explain.

I had planned on running from work last night but I didn't get away from the office early enough. So I knew that I'd be going out this morning. ... I wasn't looking forward to it for some reason. I drove to the Y and started my run at 4:30. I figured that I would just run based on how I felt. That's what I had done on Monday on the same course over the same distance and I ended up quite happy with the result in the end.

Today's opening mile was around 9:00. My ankle was being cranky and I just wasn't feeling it. I thought the next 8 miles where going to be long if I felt this way the whole time! So I decided that I'd try to run negative 10 second splits for each mile. That way I could ease into a faster pace and still finish around my goal of 8:20/mi.

With this challenge laid down, my mind had something to focus on and I "went to work". Of course, this isn't anything heroic but I was able to do it. Here are my mile splits:

8:59/8:51/8:33/8:26/8:16/8:08/7:52/7:47/7:34

I didn't get exactly 10 second negatives but I was close and I did get negative splits over the whole distance.

I was pleased when this run was over.

Interestingly, this run was about 1 minute slower than Monday's run but the runs felt completely different. Monday's run was close to flat splits while today's was negative. It's interesting how each run takes on a personality of its own.

Okay, so back to my original comment that I took the "S" out of my LSD. I fairly certain the the last 3 miles were technically too fast for a textbook long, slow run.

PRE RUN
Clif bar & water

POST RUN
SlimFast
Later, Kashi GoLean cereal w/skim milk; water & multivitamin

No comments: