Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Taste of Speed

OBJECTIVE
5 miles - 1 mi. WU, 3 mi. tempo @ 7:05/mi, 1 mi. CD

ACHIEVED
1 mi. WU @ 9:23
3 mi.@6:57/mi. (20:54)
1.10 mi. CD @ 9:03



4:19 AM 37° 48% 7 mph

This was my first speed workout in over two months. It was nice to get rolling again. I had a hard time finding the pace over the first mile+ but seemed to manage better over the last half of the run.

7:04
6:55
6:52

Once I found it I just tried to relax. I read a good thread yesterday where it was suggested that elite and semi-elite runners have the ability to shift into auto-pilot while local and recreational runners aren't able to do so. There seemed to be some agreement that relaxing was a key element to the auto-pilot concept. I remember a 5K last summer where I was kicking to the finish and seemed to find another gear when I "accidentally" stumbled upon relaxation approach. It's counter-intuitive but seems to work. Over the last half of the run today, I was pushing pace but didn't feel overwhelmed. I think this was due to relaxing. I need to remember this approach.

PRE RUN
Clif bar & water

POST RUN
SlimFast & multivitamin
Later, oatmeal w/honey & skim milk, water

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Nice work! Today was also my first speed workout in quite some time, so I know how it feels.