Monday, July 9, 2007

7 Along Buffalo Bayou

Tried a new route tonight. I changed at the office and took the Buffalo Bayou trail up to Shepherd and back. I didn't realize there was as much change in terrain along the bayou. The trail was enjoyable. It was around sunset. There is a paved trail most of the way but wide grassy areas to run along the trail (which I did as much as I could). The recent rains had washed the trail in few places.

On my way out, I noticed people congregating at the Waugh Street bridge. The trail took me under the bridge. From the smell and the signs, I noted there was a bat colony under the bridge. They weren't too active yet. On my way back, more people had gathered ... "bat watchers" I suppose ... and the bats were much more active. Having not run along this route before, I wasn't sure of the protocol. The trail went right under the bridge. So I turned along an overpass and circled back to survey the situation. Decided with the bat activity, I was not running under the bridge. I know they most likely wouldn't bother me. I came back to the path, jumped off the trail, went over the bridge, and picked up the trail on the other side of the bridge. I was surprised at how many people had spread their blankets to watch. I wonder if that many people gather each night. Obviously the bats come out around that time every evening ....

I had some trouble with my new GPS watch. It didn't like the fact that I was running under bridges and around tall buildings downtown.

My pace was slower than I wanted but it's really tough to get it going on Monday's after Marsha (my personal trainer) just torches my legs at my morning session.

7.31 miles @ 9:18 (1:07:59)

It was a not-so-easy "easy run" as all of this week's runs are. I'm pulling the plug on the 10K in Lampasas this weekend. Bottom line is that it's a 3:45 drive and I've got to get ready for next week's vacation. I'm still trying to find an alternate race and my end up at the Woodlands 5K and just tack on additional 3 miles after the race.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Your comments about the bat colony prompted me to do a quick internet search.

http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/Bats.html#etiquette

Apparently the bat "emergence" is a nightly event, and the season is beginning now.

As a humorous aside, the first time I ran by the bridge I though I was smelling the scent of Houston's homeless population.

Cory said...

I guess I shouldn't have been running under the bridge while throwing rocks at the "emerging" bats. Couldn't quite understand why everyone was yelling at me ....

(No I really didn't do this!)

I did realize it was a serious event when I saw a rather large guy wearing a black rock-concert style t-shirt that said something about bat watching ....